A Malaysiakini‘s exclusive report yesterday (Jul 19) exposed the details of a letter sent by former Prime Minister Datuk Sri Najib Razak’s administration to the United States’ then-CIA director designate Gina Haspel. The three-page letter was sighted by Malaysiakini and it’s learnt that the letter 1200-word letter was written and sent by Director-General of Research Division in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Hasanah Ab Hamid, five days before the 14th General Election, on May 4.
The independent news portal had verified the authenticity of the letter through a trusted source linked to the Pakatan Harapan government but the source refused to comment on the letter.
In the letter, it was asking America’s intelligence to support Najib in GE14 by presenting “any indication” favourable to the former premier, arguing it’s essential for the intelligence to support the former government to win the election “even if we (BN administration) are to win the election by a simple majority of just one seat”. The letter, broken into 16 pointers, presented a series of arguments on why the US had to support Najib by pointing out their lack of presence in ASEAN country, BN government’s loyalty to the US, and even welcomed the US presence to Malaysian’s South China Sea coastline “to provide balance towards China’s maritime assertiveness.”
Najib who had struck many deals with China seemed to support the US more favourably in the letter and it also highlighted then-prime ministerial candidate Tun Dr Mahathir’s “anti-West, anti-semite, autocratic” political rule, citing that he disregarded human rights, democracy and even claimed that Dr Mahathir wouldn’t deliver the promised reformation agenda if he won the election. It’s worth to note that the letter didn’t mention a word about the billion-dollar 1MDB scandal which was exposed and investigated by the US media and authorities.
Below is the full extract of the letter, as published by FMT:
Office of the Director General
Prime Minister’s Department
Ms. Gina Haspel
Central Intelligence Agency United States of America
Dear Gina, hope you are well.
It is an honor to have this opportunity to greet Your Excellency and I hope that Your Excellency will always be in good health.
Foremost, on behalf of the Malaysian External Intelligence Organization (MEIO), I would like to congratulate Your Excellency on your recent appointment as the Director (Designate) of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
I also would like to take this opportunity to briefly inform Your Excellency on the upcoming general election in Malaysia on 9 May 2018. Indeed, as Your Excellency is well aware it could turn out to be the most tightly contested general election in Malaysia’s history. Opposition parties, with the exception of the PAS party, have come together into a fragile coalition, Pakatan Harapan, and chose the 93 year old former Prime Minister, Mahathir Mohammad, to lead them into the general election. Mahathir in the past, has been anti-West, anti-semite, autocratic, silenced dissent through force, and totally disregarded human rights and the rule of law. It was during his tenure that the Internal Security Act (ISA) was heavily abused for his own political agenda and allowed him to rule Malaysia more than two decades.
4. The four parties that make up Pakatan Harapan, namely Parti Keadilan Rakyat, Democratic Action Party, Parti Amanah Negara and Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia, have not presented concrete and viable proposals in their manifesto regarding Malaysia’s foreign policies which could undermine bilateral relations between both our two countries as well as destabilizing further the security situation in Southeast Asia. Furthermore the manifesto does not reflect the ability of the coalition to understand and manage the geostrategic threats facing the world, much less work with the US to address these challenges. This has created concerns among security agencies in Malaysia and the region.
5. On the other hand, the ruling Barisan Nasional coalition, under the leadership of Prime Minister Najib, which had administered Malaysia over the last 9 years, has a proven track record of not only practicing sound and progressive foreign policies, but also greatly contributing to enhancing regional security through a very active involvement in promoting peace and stability in the region. Unlike Mahathir, Prime Minister Najib is known to be a strong US ally and would continue to support US presence in the region. Without Prime Minister Najib in charge of the country, the US stands to lose a reliable partner in Southeast Asia given that the Philippines has broken away from Washington, Singapore and Brunei being too small to make an impact and Thailand as well as Indonesia too immersed in their own domestic political problems. Meanwhile the Indo-China countries except for Vietnam are too inclined towards China.
6. As Your Excellency is aware, under Prime Minister Najib, Malaysia continues to be more actively involved to end the decades-long armed conflict in southern Philippines and southern Thailand. Recently. through ASEAN and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (O1C), Malaysia had assumed a leading role in finding a solution to the Rohingya crisis, which could potentially become a new source of terrorism threat in the region. Prime Minister Najib has also established a fully equipped field hospital run by the Ministry of Defence in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh to cater for the needs of more than 700,000 Rohingya refugees.
7. In the efforts to counter the threat of terrorism. Malaysia is proud to be a partner of the US, where Washington had chosen Kuala Lumpur as the location of the US-sponsored Southeast Asia Regional Centre for Counter-Terrorism (SEARCCT) and Regional Digital Counter-Messaging Communications Centre (RDCCC). In addition, MEIO has been the chair of the AIC-CTC since it was launched by Prime Minister Najib in December 2016. AIC-CTC together with five partners including your own esteemed service are closely cooperating in counter-terrorism efforts.
8. Since Prime Minister Najib took over the country’s leadership, Malaysia has been internationally recognized as a moderate and progressive Muslim country. The creation of Global Movement of Moderates is the testament to his leadership to promote moderation, peaceful coexistence, respect mutual understanding, the celebration of rich dimension on diversity, and curb extremism globally.