Najib’s Trial Stops Midway at KL Court Complex After Receiving Bomb Threat

While suspects were sitting at the edge of the seats, hoping that their trial would go in their favour, they had another thing to worry about at the court today − and that is a bomb threat.

According to Malay Mail, the police received an anonymous phone call at about 11am today, claiming that a bomb would go off at Kuala Lumpur Court Complex.

Source: Kosmo Online

It forced the building to be evacuated, halting all the on-going proceedings which included former Prime Minister Datuk Sri Najib Razak’s SRC International trial.

The authorities ordered an immediate clearout at 12.30pm. NST reported Najib left the building at 12.35pm.

Source: Malay Mail

Source: NST

Several official Proton Perdana believed to be ferrying judges were also seen leaving the compound.

The entire building at Jalan Duta was sealed off with yellow tape fencing every entrance. Evacuees were assembled at the main entrance.

Source: Malay Mail

At the scene, Sentul police chief Assistant Commissioner S. Shanmugamoorthy told reporters that it was Taman Tun Dr Ismail police station that received the anonymous phone call from a man earlier.

“We couldn’t recognise who he was. He didn’t introduce himself but relayed information, claiming a bomb was in court. That is all,” said the district police chief.

Source: Harian Metro

The police Bomb Disposal Unit and other experts combed through the building and found no explosive. The public was allowed to get back to the court at about 2pm.

“The bomb squad and K-9 unit have scoured the area, checked strategic locations and along the perimeter including the interior where interesting cases are being heard or tried.

“We have not found anything wrong and at this point it is clear, and I am satisfied with the current situation,” said Shanmugamoorthy.

He added that the investigation to identify the unknown caller is on-going. City Criminal Investigations Department chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Rusdi Mohd Isa added later that the bomb threat was a hoax.

Najib Razak at KL Court Complex yesterday. Source: Malay Mail

A day ago (Jul 24), Najib’s trial was vacated for a day after one of his lawyers fell ill, The Star reported.

Defence counsel Wan Aizuddin Wan Mohamad told Justice Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali that his co-counsel, Harvinderjit Singh, was sick and lead counsel Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah was unable to attend the proceeding as the latter was needed to attend another case.

Najib is currently facing seven charges for allegedly pocketing RM42 million out of SRC International, a former subsidiary of 1MDB. He is currently standing trial to three counts of criminal breach of trust, one count of abusing his position and three counts of money laundering.

Hopefully, this bomb threat was not a plan to sabotage any proceeding at the court today.

What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments below.

Most Popular

To Top