Penangite Fined RM1,000 For Attacking and Spitting at Bus Driver Who Didn’t Pick Him Up

On Friday (Dec 14), a 46-year-old man beat up a Rapid Penang bus driver for refusing to pick up at a non-designated stop. The man wanted to board the bus at Lebuh Macallum while it was waiting for the traffic light to turn green.

A viral video captured what happened next. The man pried open the door and showered punches on the bus driver. The 29-second clip showed that the bus driver resisted and stood up against the assailant. The assailant was also heard screaming vulgarities at the bus driver.

Source: Facebook

According to NST, the bus was en route to Komtar from Bandar Sri Pinang at 7.30pm. He even spat at the bus driver amidst the scuffle.

“The suspect then ran to the driver’s side door and argued with the driver through his window, before returning to the passenger door and forcing it open.

Source: Facebook

“He then rushed to the bus driver and spat at and punched his face, and threatened to hurt him further,’’ Timur Laut district police chief Assistant Commissioner Che Zaimani Che Awang said a day after the incident.

The Rapid Penang Bus driver. Source: NST

Despite being attacked out of a sudden, the 42-year-old bus driver didn’t take it lying down. The quick-thinking bus driver locked the door behind the assailant and drove the bus straight to Pengkalan Weld bus station. It was there the auxiliary police detained the attacker and handed him to the Lebuh Pantai police station.

The assailant, Lee Chee Wee. Source: The Star

The Star reported today (Dec 19) that the man, named Lee Chee Wee, was fined RM1,000 over his offence.

Magistrate Rosnee Mohd Radzuan imposed the fine after Lee begged for leniency, contending that he only made RM1,600 a month and had elderly parents to care for. According to the daily, Lee worked as a cashier.

Lee was unrepresented in the court and the case was charged under  Section 323 of the Penal Code in relation to voluntarily causes hurt. If convicted, the offender is punishable up to one year in jail or fine no more than RM2,000.

The court handed down a RM1,000 fine and he was free to go after making the payment.

You can watch the video of the incident on the next page.

Most Popular

To Top