Two days after the tragic terrorist attack in two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, Tony Fernandes announced that he had quit Facebook, citing that “the amount of hate that goes on in social media sometimes outweighs the good.”
Closed down my Facebook account with 670 k followers. Just thinking about Twitter now. Weather to close or carry on. The amount of hate that goes on in social media sometimes outweighs the good. But on Twitter I think the battle for me goes on.
— Tony Fernandes (@tonyfernandes) March 17, 2019
The AirAsia Group chief executive officer is mulling to leave Twitter too.
Fernandes said he had 670,000 followers on the platform prior to the departure. He also said the social media giant company could have done better in stopping the spread of the 17-minute terrorist attack video.
“Facebook could have done more to stop some of this.
“17 mins of a live stream of killing and hate! It needs to clean up and not just think of financials,” Fernandes wrote in a series of Tweets.
The budget airline CEO said he had been a victim of fake bitcoin and other similar scams, presumably propagated on Facebook, and the last straw was the terrorist attack video that proliferated on Facebook. As of the latest reports, 50 lives have lost due to the event while many are still receiving treatment in hospitals.
“It is a great platform to communicate. Strong engagement and very useful but New Zealand was too much for me to take along with all the other issues.”
On Twitter, Fernandes has 1.3 million followers and posted over 20 thousand tweets. Bloomberg reported that Fernandes mainly tweets about AirAsia’s development as well as his co-owned English soccer club Queens Park Rangers.
FeedMe Malaysia previously covered the Christchurch shooting which was livestreamed on Facebook. The video was shot with a GoPro attached to a terrorist head, identified as Brenton Tarrant.
The graphic video was only taken down after being on the platform for 17 minutes − uninterrupted.
In the first 24 hours we removed 1.5 million videos of the attack globally, of which over 1.2 million were blocked at upload…
— Facebook Newsroom (@fbnewsroom) March 17, 2019
Facebook tweeted that it had removed 1.5 million reuploads of the video in the first 24 hours. Other social media sites, such as YouTube and Twitter, are also struggling to cleanse the video out of their platforms, CNBC reported.
What are your thoughts on this? Lately, Facebook and Google have been held accountable to various parliament or congress houses all over the world for their inability to stop malicious information and data breach.
Do you think social media sites are the ones to blame or the users/hackers? Let us know in the comment below.