Controversial preacher Zakir Naik, who is wanted in India for money laundering charges, has taken a step too far when responding to his stay in Malaysia.
According to Malaysiakini, the asylum seeker said on Thursday (Aug 8) that the Chinese community in Malaysia are “old guests” and the group should “go back” before he does.
“[…] Malaysia became fully Muslim. Then you have the Chinese coming, the Indians coming, the British coming. They are our new guests,” Zakir said when explaining how Islam had peacefully spread into this region through trading back in the days.
“You know someone called me a guest. So I said, before me, the Chinese were the guests. If you want the new guest to go first, ask the old guest to go back.
“The Chinese aren’t born here, most of them. Maybe the new generations, yes.
“If you want the guest to go back, and those guests which (sic) are bringing peace in the community, they are benefit (sic) for the family.”
Zakir made the remark at the “Executive Talk bersama Dr Zakir Naik” in Kota Baru, Kelantan. During the session, he also commented on how Hindu Malaysians seemed to have more faith in India’s government than Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
The Star reported him as saying that Hindu Malaysians enjoy more than 100% rights here than Muslims in India.
Dr Mahathir had previously admitted that Zakir was “an unwelcome guest Malaysia can’t send away”. However, it is learned that Saudi Arabia had granted him citizenship in May 2017.
Malaysian government refused to send the controversial preacher back to India on grounds that he may not get a fair trial for his alleged crimes.
After Zakir’s comment, two DAP and one PKR Ministers have raised the issue in the Cabinet meeting today (Aug 14), saying that the controversial preacher should hold no events in Malaysia anymore and should be sent back.
“We have expressed our position which is that action must be taken and that Zakir Naik should no longer be allowed to remain in Malaysia.
“The prime minister has taken note of our concerns. We leave it to him to consider the position and to decide soonest possible what will be done to deal with the problem,” Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo and Human Resources Minister M Kulasegaran said in a joint statement, as quoted by Malaysiakini.
“We also reiterate the concerns raised by many over speeches and statements of his which have been inflammatory in nature.
“We, therefore, express our objections to Zakir Naik, in the meanwhile, holding any further events here in Malaysia or making further statements which impact on race relations and public order.”
Water, Land and Natural Resources Minister Dr Xavier Jayakumar echoed the former two Ministers’ statement, adding that Zakir should not be allowed to make seditious remarks.
“This country has always maintained its peace and values through tolerance and well-being amongst its various races and religions. We are, after all, a multiracial country.
“We do not need such individuals to issue seditious statements with the intent to drive the wedge between Muslims and non-Muslims in Malaysia,” he said.
You can watch Zakir’s speech here:
What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the comments below.